Wednesday, February 29, 2012

From Hipster to Leapster

HAPPY LEAP DAY!

Before we start on the excitement that was today, yesterday was my final post-op visit with my surgeon. He was in the room for about 3 minutes. He asked how I was doing. I told him I felt pretty well and seemed like I wasn't having any complications. He rotated my hip and said everything looked okay on his end. He asked if I had any questions for him. Since I didn't, he cleared me from his care. So, at this point, I'm done with the surgeon unless I have any problems. Luckily my PT and surgeon are in the same building, so if I do have any problems during PT, he'll be right there.

"Leaping lizards!" 

























































 



















 

Today was my first day back at work! The half-mile trek from the parking garage to the heavy grey door behind which I work was not something I missed.

My first stop was Occupational Health to get cleared to return to work. I gave them a letter from my surgeon, and the nurse took my blood pressure and temperature. Painless, but annoying. At least it took up about an hour of my time, most of which consisted of me waiting out front to be called back.

I went downstairs to check in with the Boss Man and get the run down on what went on while I was out. Same stuff, different day.

Luckily, I make the work schedule, so I made sure that I would be working the "sit-down" job today and the next two days so I can ease back into work. Surprisingly, though, work day wasn't as annoying as I thought it was going to be. I guess the 8 weeks I had off really did help me mentally, as well as physically.

Even though I had the "sit-down" job, working in a pharmacy still requires a lot of moving and walking around. By the end of the day, the front part of my hip, where the hip flexor muscle stretches across the joint, was pretty sore and achy. I had physical therapy scheduled right after work, but before I could get there, I had to get back to my car. My PT center is only about a mile and a half from where I work. So, I walked the half mile to my car, then drove a mile to PT... I should have just walked the whole thing and counted that as my warm-up!

No changes in PT; still trying to get my hip acclimated to being used again. I'm taking advantage of the handicapped parking decal I have; although I feel guilty for using it since I'm capable of walking. I just make sure I limp around a little bit when I am close to my car.

The gym is still pretty low-key. I'm sticking with the stationary bike for cardio to reduce the amount of time I spend on my feet and to keep the stress and impact down to a minimum. Hopefully next week I'll be able to go for an actual bike ride if the weather is nice. My poor bike is so lonesome propped against the wall.

Since I live in a second floor apartment with no elevator, I try to avoid the stairs as much as possible, at least on the way up. I took the elevator up one flight of stairs at work today. I refused to take it back down. One small leap at a time...

Next up: A leap of faith, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment