Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hip-Hoperation Photos

The long awaited arthroscope images from my hip-hoperation are finally posted!

The hipstergery was a success! I had a bone spur on the socket part (acetabulum) of the joint. They filed that down (debridement), which is why some of the surrounding area in the pictures look a little like shag carpeting. The spur was causing some minor impingement every time I moved my leg.

Incisions all stitched up!
The cartilage tear was pretty large. It required 2 "anchors" to patch it down. I have 3 incision sites, one was for the camera and the 2 closest to each other were for the tools they used to complete the repair. I should get the stitches out on Friday... yes, Friday... the 13th...

I'll be on crutches for 6 weeks following the surgery. (Almost 1 week down!) For those first 6 weeks, I'm only allowed toe-touch weight on my right leg, meaning when I'm standing, I can place my toe on the ground. During weeks 7 and 8 post-op, we'll slowly start to increase the amount of weight that I'm allowed to put on my right leg.

Using only my left leg to sit and stand has got the muscles working overtime, and today I noticed that the outer part of my left hip (abductor muscles, or "saddle-bags" if you will) are sore. Eventually, my left leg will get used to compensating for both, and my strength will increase and I'll be fine.

My goal right now is just to avoid as much "fatrophy" in my legs (and even my upper body) as possible. While I'm lying in bed and doing my PT, I'm also using small hand weights to continue some weight resistance exercise of my upper body.

These are images taken on the way to the affected area.
The contact lens in the bottom right image is just a bubble. 

Image on bottom right shows the tear.
It's so large, the probe fits all the way through it.

Here you can see the fuzzy areas of bone that they shaved down 
to get rid of the bone spur.

This shows them starting to tie down the flap of cartilage.
It's funny how the rope looks like standard rope you can buy at the store.

The flap is tied down with 2 anchors and the spur is filed away.

2 comments:

  1. Wow..that's some seriously impressive work! Hope the recovery is easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carissa :) Yeah, the pictures are pretty cool and impressive. Just a regular day at the office for the surgeons though!

    ReplyDelete